MWC has received funding through Watersheds Canada to deliver The Natural Edge Program in the Muskoka area this summer!
The Natural Edge Program guides landowners through every step of the shoreline re-naturalization process, from planning to planting. It empowers property owners to restore their shoreline, protect their water quality, and create habitat for wildlife and pollinators using native trees, shrubs, and wildflowers.
Participants in The Natural Edge Program receive:
- A free site visit to discuss shoreline concerns, provide recommendations, and assess planting conditions;
- A personalized planting plan, including photos of selected planting areas and ideal plant species;
- Free resources to ensure that the newly planted vegetation thrives in the first few years of establishment and growth; and
- Follow-up and support with your new plants.
And for landowners wanting to get a jump on planting their shoreline, there are a limited number of Shoreline Re-naturalization Starter Kits available for a low cost, which include:
- 50 native plants including trees, shrubs, ferns and wildflowers
- Coconut fibre mats to deter grass from growing around new plantings
- Tree guards for all deciduous trees
- Mulch for the wildflowers and ferns
- Plant Care Guide with instructions on how to take care of your new plants
- Habitat Creation Guide
- Wildflower Garden Guide
If you would like to receive a site visit this summer, you can sign up at https://www.muskokawatershed.org/programs/the-natural-edge/.