Muldrew Lake is one of those lakes that people discover and seldom leave. Fabulous water quality, timeless Muskoka scenery, minutes to Gravenhurst and the Wharf, world-class golf also just minutes away at the Muskoka Bay Club.
On Muldrew, the trend has been one of buying properties with an older cottage on them and rebuilding. The problem today is the cost of an original property, plus the cost to build new, very quickly exceeds $1 or $2 million.
But, the original properties were almost always the best: good exposure, good access, good privacy, good views but with a level lot, good waterfront, etc. Also, when building a new cottage on the footprint of an older one, a minimal setback from the waterfront is a possibility that is not allowed on a newly developed lot.
This listing is such a property.The owners cottaged here for 30 years, prior to re-building ten years ago. They sought to design and build an energy-efficient home (in this case certified R-2000) with complete and excellent mechanicals, as well as superb construction quality on this property.
Four season certified R2000 home, approx. 2500 square feet of living space, on 1.11 acres of groomed woodland, on a four season road. Custom built in 2002 by French’s Fine Homes. Facing southwest on 160 feet of pristine shallow sand beach and deep waterfront. Located 10 kilometers from the Town of Gravenhurst, the world class Muskoka Bay Golf course, Muskoka Wharf, and emergency services.
Open concept living / dining / kitchen area separates two main-floor bedrooms, each bedroom with its own ensuite. Laundry facilities located on accessible main floor. Large screened-in porch overlooking lake. Expansive windows bring in the outside with natural light and expansive views. Natural daylight walkout basement with large guest bedroom. Detached two vehicle carport, with tool storage, and upstairs playroom/sleeping area. Neutral colours throughout. Faces southwest providing passive solar heating.
- 160 ft water frontage – original shore road allowance purchased/closed
- Floating dock (24’ x 8’) cedar tone synthetic wood, attached to flexible cedar ramp and solid dock at shore
- Sand beach at shore, deep water beyond floating dock.
- Easy access to the lake via log stairs from driveway or through house walk-out basement
- Level entry road from year round access municipal road, serviced by school bus.
- Irregular lot: Sides: Lake frontage 160, sides 324.77’ & 244.02’, roadside 229.08’
- Well landscaped 1.11 acre lot – planned and groomed woodlot, gardens with many mature perennials, small stream with dam creating waterfall
- Consistent water levels (within approx. 12” fluctuation based on season and rain/snow fall amounts)
- South /west exposure
- Property purchased by owner in 1973; Viceroy cottage removed and replaced by year round home in 2002.
- Insulation & size: Custom, certified R-2000 insulated home, approx. 2500 sq ft of living space with 1900 sq ft on accessible main floor plus 600 sq ft of finished lower level with natural light and walkout to large covered cedar deck
- Windows: Energy Guide rated, low E Argon double hung windows and doors featuring large opening French doors from living room to screened in porch, slider doors, 2 casement windows on lower level
- Foundation: Concrete poured, with insulation and fire retardant
- Finishes: Custom rounded wall corners, and ceiling borders throughout, all neutral colours
- Driveway: Easy access limestone driveway, off municipal year-round road
- Detached garage/car port: (20’ x 24’), on slab concrete foundation with tool room and upstairs playroom/sleeping loft
- Siding: Pre-painted horizontal Cape Cod lodgepole-pine siding on house with decorative frieze boards
- Roof: 35 yr. asphalt shingles, eaves troughs all around
- Flooring: Main floor is prefinished hardwood 3 ¼” Birch and ceramic tile; basement is manufactured hardwood Maple.
- Wheelchair accessible main floor: Hallway, doorways, bathroom, lever taps & door handles
- Decking: Entry deck (6’ x 9’) is screened and two steps up from grade.
Screened in lakeside cedar sun deck (34’ x 8’) upstairs off of living/dining rooms. Covered 34’ x 8’ cedar deck downstairs (unscreened).
Two covered unscreened cedar decks off bedrooms (each 14’ x 4’)
ENTRY PORCH: 6’ x 9’ Unheated screened-in entry porch/mud room leads into the house from the landscaped walkway …
FOYER: 7’ X 12’6”
- Foyer – ceramic tile floor
- Mirrored entry coat closet
- Main floor laundry closet with shelves, side-by-side appliances
LIVING/DINING ROOMS: Open concept 34’ x 15’ combined – cathedral ceiling
- Flooring: – Birch prefinished hardwood
- Napoleon propane fireplace – natural stone surround
- Walk out French doors with side window to screened porch (34′ x 8′) off living room
- Sliding doors to screened porch off dining room.
KITCHEN (12’ x 13’)
- Spacious upper and lower cupboards, w/corner appliance garage, bulkheads over upper cupboards
- Task lighting, over sink pot light
- Formica counter tops, with double SS sink
- Island with sink & large pot drawers and seating area
- Pantry with slider shelves
- Broom closet
- Desk area w/phone/cable connections
MAIN FLOOR BEDROOMS X 2:
- Master Bedroom (16’ x 13’6”) with ensuite bathroom(10’6” x 7’6” irregular) and Maxx spa shower
- 6’ bay window overlooking wooded area
- Walk in closet (7’6” x 7’) w/window
- Attached sitting room / den (13’6” x 8’4”), 6’ sliding patio door to covered cedar balcony area
- Guest Bedroom / Sitting Room (20’ x 13’6”) Main floor guest room with 2 pc ensuite washroom (7’6” x 7’)
- 6’ bay window
- Walk in closet (7’6” x 5’6”) with window
- Large linen closet
- 6‘ sliding patio door to covered balcony.
BATHROOMS-(2 & ½)
- Main floor washroom (10’6” x 7’9”) 4 piece (separate shower & tub) – ceramic tile floors with matching tub surround, wheelchair accessible
- Two ensuite bathrooms: one 3 piece off master (ceramic floor); one 2 piece off main floor guest room (hardwood floor)
- Elongated dual-flush toilets (3)
FINISHED NATURAL LIGHT WALK-OUT LOWER LEVEL
- BEDROOM 3: (14’ x 13’6”’) Spacious, bright guest room in natural daylight basement
- Family Room (34’ X 15’ less stairway footprint) includes a Napoleon wood-burning fireplace with fan and enclosed firewall, with outside air feed, ceramic and back wall ceramic décor and mantle on wall
- Walk-out sliding door to covered cedar deck (34’ x 8’), and stairs to lakefront
- Storage/Mud Room (approx 14’ x 14’) with door to outside wood shed
- Flooring: Manufactured Maple hardwood
- Unfinished area: exposed rock is covered and sealed with moisture shield (Approx. 62’ x 16’); contains mechanical room, water pump and purification system, electrical panels
- Cedar deck (34’ X 8’) has a cement slab underneath which allows for potential future hot tub installation
HEATING: (3 sources) Two Napoleon fireplaces; one wood and one propane, with fans on Generac
- Geo-thermal electric furnace and air conditioning; with outdoor split system air-to-air heat pump/thermostat
- Lifebreath HRV ventilating system (air exchange and dehumidifier) with timers in each of 3 bathrooms plus in kitchen
- Napoleon propane fireplace on main floor, w/thermostat (fireplace fan on generator)
- Two propane tanks (tandem) on rental with Budget Propane
- Wood burning Napoleon pedestal high-efficiency fireplace in finished basement (fireplace fan on generator)
WATER SYSTEM & PLUMBING: Complete water system is on Generator
- Water source: Lake, with ¾ hp Jacuzzi pump in lake, heated water line / thermostat
- Water filtration system for interior use (sediment, carbon, UV); additional ceramic filter tap in main bathroom.
- Non-filtered water to outside taps for gardens, car washing, etc. (Benefit = extends filtration system life)
- Oversized septic tanks (1400 gal. capacity with 100 gal. pump out chamber), insulated pipes and holding tank for efficient percolation
- 40 gal. hot water tank
- 200 amp service with (automatic) standby 8 K propane Generator – supplies fridges, freezer, microwave, water pump, UV light, various outlets – minimum of one outlet per bedroom, fireplace fans.
- Buried power lines from transformer to buildings
- Installed surge protector on incoming power lines
- Wired for satellite cable w/installed cable splitter (8)
- Easy access driveway from Town maintained road, easy lakefront access
- 8K standby Generator powered by propane — connected to water in/out system, refrigerator & deep freeze, microwave, plus one or more electrical outlet in each room
- Double pane low-E argon windows throughout
- “Silent floor” joists throughout; all wood decks are cedar
- Fire protection system (house and grounds) with sprinklers on house roof
- Cement pad roughed-in for hot tub (under lower deck)
- Outside summer hot/cold shower
- Central vacuum is roughed in, two outlets, one crumb tray
- Winter wood shed off lower deck
- 24” all around roof overhang
DETACHED CARPORT / GARAGE: 20’ x 24’ building erected on concrete rebar reinforced slab
- 2 vehicle carport, with tool storage area
- Vertical cedar siding – open sides allow for firewood stacking
- Locking tool room at end of garage hidden under indoor stairway
- Bright upstairs playroom/sleeping loft (24’ x 20’), three season, carpeted plywood floors, with 4 opening windows and patio door to small deck, ceiling light/fan, electricity, with one installed heater in loft
- Garden tool shed attached to the back of garage
- Outdoor summer shower building with hot/cold running water immediately behind garage
- Decked walkway from garage to house, with BBQ and picnic table area
- Level bonfire pit area behind garage, with grass and raised garden area
Located approximately 90 minutes from Toronto and its International Airport
- Accessible from Hwy. 169 near Muskoka Wharf
- Muskoka’s 10th largest body of water, approx. 11 miles long, with many bays and inlets
- Muldrew Lake Cottagers Association is active in issues relating to the development and the environment, active in cottage winter inspections, provides annual regattas and other general interest events to membership. The MLCA also provides and maintains two boat landings for members to launch and remove boats from the lake. “All Out Marina” is located at the north eastern end of the lake.
Located south west of Gravenhurst, Muldrew Lake well known for its rugged beauty, calm waters and its active community of residents who are devoted to the lake lifestyle. Muldrew’s waters lie on the bedrock of the Canadian Shield, its depths and shape scraped out by glaciers thousands of years ago. Five species of pine and deciduous species such as birch, oak and maple decorate the shore. Muldrew is home to many species of wildlife, the most popular of which are the Common Loon, Great Blue Heron and of course the chipmunk. Much to the delight of residents, a large variety of songbirds, raptors and hummingbirds commonly visit, next and feed in the shore lands surrounding Muldrew Lake.